Getting ready for the move

Well, most definitely the star of the garden this year are the SUNCHOKES.
I highly recommend this plant as it  seemed that the less attention we gave it, the more it appreciated it.
These are now approximately 15 feet tall and seem to just keep getting taller and taller every day.  I am really hoping we get a good amount out of these as this years Christmas presents will be herbs, jams, jellies, winter squash grown in the back yard and sunchokes.

Recently my husband, Edward and I decided it was time.  Between warfare with rabbits, cabbage worms and some unknown black and yellow insect that almost looked like a ladybug on steriods, we decided to completely pull up the first raised bed near the house.











 
I got quite a good harvest of Red Russian Kale and Curled Scotch Kale and a few hand fulls of dill.  Then, since I was getting thoroughly into the harvesting sort of mood, I cut off the one lonely Long Island Cheese Pumpkin, massive bunches of dill, a hand full of ripe Christmas Grape tomatoes, and one white eggplant that oddly enough is turning bright, neon yellow.

Later I did a bit of research and discovered when white eggplants turn yellow it means they are mature. Wow, neat tool to figure out the ripeness in an eggplant. Who knew?
The basil, dill and kale has been dehydrated and the cheese pumpkin put into a corner on the floor since we have no potato cellar and that is the coolest location in the house.  That one won't be lonely for long however as we have our first Galeux D'eysines ripening up nicely on the vine.
I'm anxious to see how kale does when rehydrated and put into soups now that I have a full one gallon jar of it.
We have had a few other successes this year, though no where near the apparent success of the sunchokes.  The moringa oleifera is now about two feet tall and is now showing no signs of slowing down.
I am wondering how I will keep it alive during our drive across the United States. 










Our Bhut Jolokia has suddenly woke up and is heavily laden with the worlds supposedly hottest peppers.
I'm not certain I want to bite into one to test that out.

Our tomatoes, thanks to no recent attacks by squirrels are finally producing so now our entire fridge is filled to the brim with overripe tomatoes that will be made into a few jars of salsa that will then be boxed and put into one of our vehicles for the drive across country.
The winter squashes are looking somewhat sad.  I have the feeling that I should've fertilized those a bit more with manure, compost or worm tea when I put the seeds down. 
But then, this year has been the year when we really have just thrown our hands up and said "do whatever you want". 





It is most definitely a lesson in gardening and really all throughout life. You get out of life what you put into it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ambitious goals

Negative 36 with chickens in our garage

Compost Tea = MASSIVE GROWTH